Hands On • Small Class Sizes • Independent Field Research
Attend Canada’s premier coastal research and training facility, where we offer unique field courses in coastal and marine sciences. These University credit courses are open to senior undergraduates, graduates and other qualified persons. BMSC courses are directly credited towards member university degree programs (UVic, UBC, SFU, UAlberta, UCalgary).
• Experiential learning – BMSC is located in a pristine west coast natural environment with a diversity of coastal habitats; the field & lab are your classroom.
• Intense immersion experience – our undergraduate and graduate courses allows for focus, concentration and retention of material.
• Independent and team-based research projects – provides the opportunity to explore your personal interest.
• Small class sizes – class sizes are limited to a maximum of 24 students.
• Productive interactions with researchers – seminars and social events provide opportunities to meet informally and discuss research with visiting faculty.
- In the Summer, each six-week immersion course carries credit equivalent to a two-semester university course, while three-week courses carry credit equivalent to one one-semester university course.
Students may take as many courses as they like, but only one course at a time. Courses are an intense immersion experience, running from Monday to Saturday, 10 hours on average per day.
- In the Fall, the fifteen week Fall Program consists of five courses which, taken together, equal a full semester of courses.See table below for equivalent number of units.
Contact the BMSC Ambassador at your home university for more information.
BMSC has Ambassadors at several universities who can make presentations to classes and who will answer such questions as; what courses are offered at BMSC, what it is like to take courses at BMSC, what are the benefits of BMSC programs, what to expect in terms of accommodations, and what to bring, etc. Please feel free to contact them.
Questions regarding administrative details such registration procedures, exchange programs, etc. should be directed to the BMSC
or your Departmental Advisor.
Would you like to be a BMSC Ambassador at your home university? Contact us for more details.